We have lots of stuff going on at the beginning of 2018! Please take a moment to read through this list.
New Year’s Day WOD will be at 11am only!!! Get your sweat on for the first day of 2018!
- Guess the weight – win money! As you know, there’s Baby Carico due 1/6 and Baby Champney due 1/18. Both girls! Starting tomorrow, there will be a box for each baby if you would like to put in $1 and your guess of the baby’s weight (pounds and ounces, ex. 7lbs6oz) AND YOUR NAME on a sticky note. Put both in the box! Whoever guesses right on or the closest, will win the money! If there’s a tie, money will be split. Get your guess in for Baby Carico soon!!
- Starting January 8th, we will begin a 6 week 20rep back squat program that will be at the beginning of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday classes. We will have several opportunities the first week of January for you to find your 5RM back squat for the program.
- Starting January 2nd, we will be alternating a Strongman class and an Olympic Lifting class that will happen the same time as the 5:45pm class. Coach Grant will be the primary for the Strongman class, and will initially meet on 1/2. Then, Olympic lifting will be on 1/9, and so on. These classes will be on the schedule. You must signup and cancel promptly if you are unable to attend! At this time, the cap will be 5 athletes for Strongman and 6 for Olympic Lifting. Strongman is moving heavy loads, long distances, quickly. If you want to get stronger you have to lift heavy things. By mixing Strongman movements such as tire flips, farmer carries, atlas stones, sand bags, etc. with CrossFit programming you will increase strength and work capacity. Don’t let the name fool you, Strongman is for every gender and age group. All movements can be scaled to your level but in the end don’t be afraid to go as heavy as possible!
- Look for announcements about the Ruck classes popping up with Coach John, primarily on Wednesdays. CrossFit Shelby is an official Ruck Training site for Goruck! A Ruck class will consist of traveling 3-5 miles with a ruck sack(backpack) loaded with 20lbs for those that weigh 150 and under and 30lbs for those that weigh 150 and over. During the ruck we also incorporate a 15-20 minute workout with the ruck sack. Headlamp required, gloves optional. Ruck sack and positive attitude mandatory! Come try it out!
- CrossFit Shelby will be changing from Mindbody to WODIFY the first part of 2018! More information to come! We promise you’ll love it.
- 21-day Primal Blueprint Challenge will begin on January 29th.
Here’s a quick review of the guidelines we will follow:
1 Eat real food.
2 Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes.
3 Align your carb intake with your weight goals and activity levels.
4 Move frequently at a slow pace: Get between 2-5 hours per week of moderate aerobic exercise.
5 Lift heavy things: Conduct 1-3 brief, intense sessions of full-body functional movements.
6 Sprint: Go “all out” once a week.
7 Get 8 hours of sleep every night.
8 Get 15 minutes of direct sun exposure each day.
9 Play! Find time to let go, disconnect, unwind and have fun each day.
A meeting will be scheduled to talk about the Challenge.
This challenge was created by Mark Sisson of www.marksdailyapple.com. There are package deals you can purchase on your own for the Challenge, but we are not requiring you to do so. Here’s the link if you want to take a look:
We will be sharing the information to take on the Challenge. Our private Facebook page can be used to share recipes, our challenges or how we are feeling, as well as any questions. Let’s get ready! If you have not been added to the CFS Athletes private page, please let Traci know ASAP if you do have a Facebook account! Contact at 423-834-2101 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- CrossFit Games Open will start February 22nd! Registration is open on January 11th. List CrossFit Shelby as your affiliate. There are age categories as well as RX and Scaled divisions. Questions? Ask a coach!
2017 12 31